I am in my fourth term as a State Representative, having run for the first time in 2012 at the request of fellow Dover citizens. In my work at the State House, I have found that my experience as an educator, scholar, writer, editor, and parent provides me with skills I frequently apply to my legislative duties: listening, research, analysis of complex issues, clear writing, and the capacity to reach effective consensus.
My wife Jessica teaches at UNH. My son Solomon is going into his sophomore year at Reed College, and my daughter Eleanor, having spent her elementary and middle school years in Dover Schools, will be starting 11th grade at Phillips Exeter Academy. I am the full time at home parent, raise a large portion of our food in our garden and orchard, share the care of my elderly father with my brother, make necessary repairs on our hundred year old house, and do freelance editing and tutoring.
I grew up in Maine, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, and received my B.A. from Yale University and my M.A. and Ph.D. from Indiana University, Bloomington. I have taught in public and private schools, worked as an editor for an internet company, and tutored for a SAT prep company.
- State Representative, Strafford District 17 from 2013-20
- Vice-Chair of House Environment and Agriculture Committee 2019-2020
- Clerk of House Environment and Agriculture Committee 2017-18
- Member of House Environment and Agriculture Committee 2013-2020
- Legislative member of the Strafford County Cooperative Extension Advisory Council 2017-2020
- Member of the Strafford County Delegation Executive Committee 2015-20
- Horne Street School Garden
- Developed plan as a part of the Greening the Grounds committee
- Co-authored and edited the successful Timberland community service grant that made the work possible
- Continue to work with faculty members and volunteers to plan garden planting, maintenance, and harvesting.
- Established the practice of donating produce grown during the summer months to the Community Action Partnership food pantry.
- In the Summer of 2020, helped organize using the garden to produce food for those in the community dealing with food insecurity because of the Covid-19 pandemic. We have provide food to the Semour Osman Center, the Community Action Partners food pantry, the Dover Schools Grab and Go program, and the Dover Children's Home.
- Dover School District Wellness Committee
- Had leading role in revising the district’s Wellness Policy
- Co-authored the Request for Proposals for food service management company
- Provided technical assistance to the DHS horticulture program
- Advised on using the greenhouse for growing vegetables for the cafeteria
- Assisted in expanding the school garden
- Dover Open Lands committee from 2002-2003
- Co-authored the LCHIP grant to preserve the Cassily property by Whittier Falls, now home of Dover’s community gardens, and part of the Dover Community Trail